Friday, March 26, 2010

Knitalong: working on the hat body

Have you been working on the body of your hat?  I have, and thought of a few things I should tell you.  If your stitches feel tight on your needles, that's okay.  As you go along, your stitches will get looser, so don't worry about that.  Also, in the pattern, it says to do a specific number of rounds, but in the earflap hat pattern from Julie (http://heyjulie.wordpress.com/2007/03/20/babykids-earflap-hat/), she says to knit the body of the hat until it is 3.5 inches from the cast on edge, so I did that rather than the specified 25 rounds, and I had to do a few less rounds in order to get my length.  Now I'm ready to start in on my green yarn to make the leaves.  Here's a picture of the body of the hat:

Once the body is the length that you want, we'll start adding the green yarn.  Where the pattern says "Leaves" is where we start.  You'll add in the green at the beginning of the round, and just leave the tail hanging to the inside of the hat.  Knit 1 stitch with the green yarn, carry the red yarn behind the green, and knit 7 stitches red.  Repeat this combination of 8 stitches until you reach the first green stitch again.  Then, start round 27 by knitting 3 stitches in green, and knitting 5 stitches with the red yarn.  Carry the yarn you are not using behind the stitches on the inside of the hat.  Here is a picture of what my hat looks like after finishing out the body of the hat.

And here is a picture of the inside, where I carried the yarn I wasn't using across the back of the other stitches I was knitting:

That's it for the hat body.  As always, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!  Next time we'll do the decreases for the top.  Hope to see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment